Cognitive Care for Alzheimer’s and Dementia
Retire-At-Home Services in Red Deer and Central Alberta offers seniors a specialized service designed for people with Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia. We provide patient-centered care and prepare our caregivers so that they properly care for patients and their families. We also cater our services to where you are, whether you are in your home, in a retirement community, or in a long-term care facility.
At Retire-At-Home Red Deer and Central Alberta we have created a cognitive care plan that addresses both the emotional and physical health of our clients by partnering with Fit Minds®.
Our new, innovative approach to brain fitness through cognitive stimulation therapy (CST) is meant to reduce the risk of cognitive impairments brought on by degenerative neurological diseases, such as Alzheimer’s. Studies have shown that regular use of CST leads to higher levels of mental activity, which slows the progression of such diseases.
What Is Fit Minds?
- Fit Minds® is a customized CST program based on the science of neuroplasticity designed for individuals with degenerative neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s or dementia.
- Their interactive brain exercise program challenges clients to build cognitive reserve and stretch their cognitive capacity.
- They provide complex and unique challenges that build brain resilience through social settings.
- Focusing on all five areas of cognition, the CST program helps foster overall brain health.
- Fit Minds® promotes brain health in both healthy people and people with dementia.
Benefits To Our Clients
- All five areas of cognition are covered through various activities:
- Language and Music
- Visual/Spatial Orientation
- Critical Thinking
- Root causes of difficult behaviours in individuals suffering from dementia are addressed.
- Cognitive ability and quality of life improve with this non-pharmacological treatment.
- Certified caregiver delivered – because human connections are key when it comes to brain health.
- On-going assessments to track progress and develop session plans are provided.
Fit Minds Programs
Interact® Individual Program – Person-Centered Care
The Interact® Individual program is a customized cognitive stimulation therapy program for people suffering with dementia.
Delivered through human interaction, the program’s goal is to slow the progression of the disease and allow the individuals to maintain their quality of life.
Each dynamic session is built on the previous session and includes activities in five areas of cognition: Language and Music, Visual/Spatial Orientation, Memory, Critical Thinking and Computation. The sessions are customized to the individuals interests and abilities as he or she progresses through the program.
Each session can be accessed through an online portal, printed off, and used by the client during their session. The program is lead by a certified Fit Minds® Cognitive Coach and is available in both English and French.
Stay Sharp™ Program – Keep Engaged Stay Sharp™
This social CST group program is designed for retirement communities and active professionals. It’s goal is to encourage cognitive resilience and better brain fitness for healthy seniors.
The program includes:
- a new session plan and download activities every week (52 in the year);
- a brain health lifestyle® challenge every week to encourage the adoption of a brain health lifestyle;
- a kit (customized cards and tote bag); and
- ongoing access to training portal for an unlimited number of staff.
- Delivered in a group setting, Stay Sharp™ builds community by encouraging human interaction. The program is currently available in English and French.
Interact® Group Program – Build Connections
The Interact® Group program is designed for professional caregivers working in assisted living and long term care homes. The program is a group cognitive stimulation therapy program for seniors suffering from dementia.
The program includes:
four new session plans and activity downloads per week (two of the session plans are aimed at mild to moderate cognitive impairments [Empowerment sessions] and the other two are aimed at moderate to severe cognitive impairments [Maintenance sessions]);
- a kit (customized cards, game boards and tote bag;
- ongoing access to training portal for unlimited number of staff.
The Interact Group program provides essential face time – a key element for reducing anxiety and depression. The program is currently available in English and French.
The no-charge Case Management Services from a Nurse include the following:
- An initial nurse consultation in your home to understand your needs and can create a customized care plan.
- On-going supervisory visits to gauge your satisfaction and monitor your health progress. We also evaluate the work of your caregivers during that time.
- On-going monitoring of your care plan to ensure we are consistently meeting your health care needs, personal wishes, and budget.
- Advocacy services to help find the subsidies and benefits you deserve.
- Ongoing communication with your doctor and specialists as requested to ensure your care is maximized from all sources.
- Ordering any medical supplies and equipment you may require.
- Ongoing communication with your family.
- On-call support for questions and concerns about your service.